It's our decision this year to be frugal. That is our new year's resolution. Mini Peaves and I are keeping track this first month of our spending habits and then come February we will be as stingy, and cheap as anyone you have ever met. Easier said than actually done- especially if it's not in your nature to be a cheapskate. But writing it all down helps you realize, after adding it up at the end of the day how muc money we waste on just plain crap. For instance, last Friday I did what we normally did... got some cash out of a convenient ATM (1.50 charge), bought some gas at the nearest gas station by our house (35.50), bought a Grande White Chocolate Mocha at Starbucks (3.85), dropped off MP at my dad's, went to work and bought the day parking pass (6.00) days total 40.85. Don't laugh, but: I made 40.00 at my work that day (not counting taxes). So, not even thinking of what Uncle Sam took out... I was in the red .85 cents that day... what did I do to remedy this the next week? (deep breath, real fast- no pauses...) After dropping off Papa I got gas by his work where it happens to be .03 cents cheaper... so my total was 34.89 (.61 savings) I also got cash out of one of our banks (1.50 savings) skipped the Starbucks that day and brought coffee from home (3.85 savings) I also bought a limited use monthly pass which made my parking pass four dollars (2.00 savings) making my grand total for the day...32.89 making it 7.96 cheaper for the day. So it was improvement. I'm a firm believer in getting what you pay for... so I still try to avoid the freaks at our local Wal-Mart and still shop at Target for stuff, but I now buy generic brands for most things and try to skip eating out and eat what we have at home. It will be a long road ahead because I love my Starbucks... In the altruistic words of Grandpa Joe, "When a loaf of bread looks like a banquet...I have no right buying tobacco." LOL!
07 January 2008
Let's all sing like the Birdies sing... CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP!
It's our decision this year to be frugal. That is our new year's resolution. Mini Peaves and I are keeping track this first month of our spending habits and then come February we will be as stingy, and cheap as anyone you have ever met. Easier said than actually done- especially if it's not in your nature to be a cheapskate. But writing it all down helps you realize, after adding it up at the end of the day how muc money we waste on just plain crap. For instance, last Friday I did what we normally did... got some cash out of a convenient ATM (1.50 charge), bought some gas at the nearest gas station by our house (35.50), bought a Grande White Chocolate Mocha at Starbucks (3.85), dropped off MP at my dad's, went to work and bought the day parking pass (6.00) days total 40.85. Don't laugh, but: I made 40.00 at my work that day (not counting taxes). So, not even thinking of what Uncle Sam took out... I was in the red .85 cents that day... what did I do to remedy this the next week? (deep breath, real fast- no pauses...) After dropping off Papa I got gas by his work where it happens to be .03 cents cheaper... so my total was 34.89 (.61 savings) I also got cash out of one of our banks (1.50 savings) skipped the Starbucks that day and brought coffee from home (3.85 savings) I also bought a limited use monthly pass which made my parking pass four dollars (2.00 savings) making my grand total for the day...32.89 making it 7.96 cheaper for the day. So it was improvement. I'm a firm believer in getting what you pay for... so I still try to avoid the freaks at our local Wal-Mart and still shop at Target for stuff, but I now buy generic brands for most things and try to skip eating out and eat what we have at home. It will be a long road ahead because I love my Starbucks... In the altruistic words of Grandpa Joe, "When a loaf of bread looks like a banquet...I have no right buying tobacco." LOL!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I really need to do a running tally of my expenses on a day-to-day like that; especially now with another money-sucking-cash-trap (I mean child) on the way... What a great resolution! Good luck with it! Loaf.
you're an inspiration! That quote by Grandpa Joe just makes a hundred times more sense as an adult.
Post a Comment