So, I'm lookin' at my blog stuff and I noticed that our annual Del Mar Fair review wasn't on there... there it was, waiting in the queue to be published. Here it is, sorry so late...
Reminiscent of the Old...
For those of you who know my husband from his Magnum PI Shirt wearing, "Andy Keith Eats Some of Everything" fame, you will know that our main reason for going to the Del Mar Fair is to consume all the new and unusual (and a handful traditional) foods that the greasy, roach coach infested trailers put out. Everything from Deep Fried Coke, Deep Fried Avocado, Deep Fried White Castle Sliders, Deep Fried Spam, Deep Fried candy bars (invented by the Scots a thank-you) to deep fried tennis shoes....
We don't everything deep fried... there's funnel cake, ten pound buns, Orange Julius (now a novelty in California), baby donuts, (Myla's favorite.) and those f-ing awesome bbq brisket sandwiches. I took pics of the food, but am lazy now. Here's what we ended up eating...
First and foremost:
1. The roasted corn on the cob with butter and lemon chili seasoning (YUM!)
2. The baby donuts (not that good this year- Myles loved em).
3. Dippin' Dots for the girls (Emmy loved these.)
4. Brisket Sandwich (andy drinks the sauce)
5. Homemade chips
6. Orange Julius (yum)
7. Burgers (okay)
8. Deep-fried reeses (had to)
Traditionally, as a child, and being born and raised in San Diego- (Andy) and being a toddler when I came here, it has and always be called in my heart, The Del Mar Fair. They changed the name about 6 years back- to the SD County Fair. Lame. I don't know why it's lame, I just don't like that kind of change. Anyway, we would go and see the free concerts... (another, LAME- not all the concerts are free anymore.) I saw John Denver, Little Richard, Taylor Dane, Expose, Belinda Carlisle, and Weird Al.
The rides and the games: here is my review on the rides and the games... we rode the elephant last year. That's pretty much it. I might be getting old and kermudegeoney, but I find the popping of balloon darts, while you have ex-con, toothless meth addicts yelling at you to shell over your money so you can throw a ring around an old coke bottle for 8 bucks and win a PVC pellet filled Sponge-Bob unappealing. Also, winning a half dead ten cent goldfish doesn't make me want to shell over 5 bucks.
Don't even get me started on the rusty old rides that don't and haven't had any safety inspectors near them.
My brother had a good tip... he bought the giant fair cup and found out you could get it refilled with Orange Julius for three bucks. Although, we couldn't put together and eating team this year, I can always try for next year. =)
Useless Fair Item bought this year: The ShamWOW! =)
1 comment:
Hahahahaha! That description of the psychotic carny cracks me up!! My friend's niece started dating one of those she found at the Renaissance Faire over here. We were deathly afraid! Sham wow will be on your "must have" list next year, i think. let me know how it works!
Post a Comment