13 June 2007
Betrayed.
That's what I did. I betrayed my only daughter. Before you go freaking out about it, Miss Mini Peaves got her first set of shots in her more alert world. Basically jabs where she's aware enough to remember. It happened on Tuesday at 10am. We had a wonderful 2 month check-up where I was told (pat on the back) that my baby was perfect and I was doing everything right...(knock on wood). Then Alice, the nurse came in and had her tray of needles to help protect Miss Mini Peaves against such things as Hepatitis and Tetanus...Alice said, just talk to her closely and continue having her gurgle and smile the way she is now. I looked deep in Mini Peaves as Alice proceeded to stick her with three needles, two on one leg and one on another. On the initial injection, Mini Peaves' look of pure joy turned to that of surprise, pain then of betrayal as she screamed a scream that would make Jamie Lee Curtis hide in shame. I held the baby because they hurt me more than they hurt her, and she clung onto me inconsolable for about five minutes. I tried putting the soothie in her mouth, but her bottom lip was fashioned into a pout so large, I couldn't get anything in there! The rest of the night was sad more than anything, with her first angry and frustrated at her sore legs, and then just sad because of the crappy day she had. I felt like a betrayer, a judas if you will. Then, at 3am, between the sniffly, feverish sleep she was having, Mini Peaves opened her eyes and gave me the biggest, purest, happiest smile you have ever seen. She was tired and had a little fever, but she still loves me. Ahhhh. All is right in the world.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
It's just heart breaking isn't it! The lovely thing about babies is that they don't dwell on what just happened to them or blame you, but i think our own guilt eats us up more.
i hate shots. i'd rather be stabbed in the neck than give gani a shot, but hey, daycare and the law make you. damn western medicine!
Post a Comment